Dwarf citrus trees - Knowledgebase Question

Discovery Bay, Ca
Question by lindasusan1
I live in Discovery Bay, Ca, on the Delta. We have very poor water. I planted a meyer lemon and orange in the ground Fall '08. They did set some fruit at first but it all fell off. Now they have no leaves. I also planted a lime in a pot which also has no leaves now. They are all on a drip system. I just got a new meyer lemon. Do you think the water in Discovery Bay is too bad to grow fruit?

I'm sure other landscape plants grow in your area so citrus trees should be okay, too. Citrus trees need lots of water and if you flood the soil when you water them you'll leach out any salts that might otherwise collect in the soil and cause problems with the leaves. You can test this theory by watering your containerized plant with bottled water as opposed to tap water. If it thrives, it's the water that's causing problems. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet and when you water, apply enough to soak the soil until the excess water freely flows out of the drainage holes. Best wishes with your Meyer Lemon.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"