Brown and yellow on edges of leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Montz, Lo
Question by evemart27
I have several house plants that will sometimes have brown (dry) or yellow areas on the edges of the leaves. I was wondering if it is too much water perhaps or lack thereof?

Browing leaf margins can indicate overwatering, salt build up in the potting soil, or dry air. Depending upon the houseplants you are growing, you may want to water only after the top half inch of soil dries out (exceptions would be those plants that require constantly moist soils). To avoid salt build up, water throughly enough that excess water freely flows from the drainage holes and periodically sink the pot into a large container of water to flood the soil enough to leach out built up salts. I set mine in the sink and let them soak for about 15 minutes. If your houseplants are very large, you may need to set them in the bathtub for this procedure. The final concern is dry indoor air. You can overcome this by grouping your plants together during the winter months so the evaporating water can increase humidity around them.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"