pressure treated wood - Knowledgebase Question

Yulee, Fl
Question by myboy2cruisi
Can I used pressure treated wood to build my raised vegetable garden?
Iam concerned that the chemicals used in treating the wood will get into my vegetables.
I have already stated building it and can't change the wood now. Also Iam concerned about the pumpkin and squash vines touching the wood direct.
Thanks Jane

Pressure treated woods will last a long, long time in the garden and the newer treatments are much safer than the treatments of years ago. I don't think there will be a problem with chemicals leaching into a flower or perennial bed, but I would still be concerned if you plan to grow vegetables in the raised bed. Just to err on the safe side, I would keep root vegetables such as potatoes, beets and carrots away from the sides of the bed and instead grow them in the center of the bed. Those vegetables that grow on the plants themselves (corn, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) should be just fine anywhere you plant them. Lettuces and other leafy crops should probably be grown towards the center of the bed as well. Best wishes with your raised bed garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"