magnolia tree - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Diane Scuoppo
Bronx, Ne
Question by ddnyfl
How do I get my magnolia tree to bloom in the spring? I bought it 3 falls ago at HD. I get gorgeous leaves but still no flowers. Does it have to mature or is it missing something?

0

Your tree may not be mature enough to bloom. In this case, patience is the only cure. About the only other thing that will keep a healthy magnolia stellata from blooming is a late frost that kills the flower buds before they open. If your tree is developing flower buds but they do not open, it's due to the weather. There's not much you can do to keep this from happening, aside from planting it in a protected area so it will not begin to grow as quickly in the early spring, which will delay the formation of flower buds, which might keep them from being damaged by a late frost. Wish I had more options to share!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"