How do I get rid of voles & moles in my garden? - Knowledgebase Question

Winston Salem, No
Question by timykay2003
I have a very small raised garden but have a problem with voles & moles. Each year I really lool forward to planting veggies/flowers only to have the roots eaten by voles/moles. I even removed all my dirt and put 1/4

If you lined the bed with quarter-inch wire, moles are not the problem - they can't dig through the wire. But mice, rats and even voles (also called field mice) can arrive from above ground and dig down into the soil. About the only way to deter them is to cover the top of the bed with landscape fabric (also called weed barrier) and anchor it down securely, then cut slits or X's into the fabric to place your plants. While there will be some ground unprotected around the bases of the plants, most of the ground will have a barrier and this should keep the pests from digging and munching on the roots of your plants. You might also set some mouse traps baited with peanut butter or bacon to catch the voles. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"