How to best help snow damaged bushes. - Knowledgebase Question

Bel Air, Ma
Question by susaneisenb
The heavy snow has flatened
a large azalea. What can I do to try to save it? The boxwoods and hinoki cypress look doomed as well.

0

Usually the best thing to do is just leave things alone. If the snow is dry enough, you can try brushing it off with a broom but some snow cover will help insulate your shrubs and trees. Excessive amounts can bend them down to the ground and sometimes break the branches. You'll have to wait until this spring to assess the damage, though. Quite often plants will resume their original shapes once the snow melts and the fluids begin to flow within the branches. If yours look really pathetic in mid-spring you may want to prune out the worst of the damage to encourage healthy and upright new growth. I hope the snow is over for the season!!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"