Needs a Clear Answer to Raised Beds - Knowledgebase Question

Mobile, Al
Question by acharron81
My family and I are building a raised bed this spring for veggies. I have already started the veggies indoors. I have been to Home Depot where I was told that cedar was not really good to put in the ground, but that goes against everything I have read. What type of wood is good for raised beds? And how long does it normally last? I live in Mobile,Alabama. So any information would be helpful.

0

Cedar, cypress and redwood are all naturally rot resistant and make excellent wood for raised beds. There is aways some concern about setting wood on the ground because the constant moisture can cause rot so you can either lay a foundation of gravel for the lumber to sit on, or you can treat the wood with linseed oil prior to building the bed. It's the safest thing to use for vegetable gardens and is relatively inexpensive. It takes forever to dry, though, so give your project plenty of time for completion. The wood should last 5-7 years before you start to see some rotting. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"