Moles, Moles & Moles - Knowledgebase Question

PORT ORCHARD, Wa
Question by candiboivw
Any bulb type plants that is resistant to MOLES ? Planted bulbs 2008, it Bloomed, very happy, left it in the grd.started sprouting happy again! I accidentally pulled one & wala no bulbs just leave sticking out. then trien a row, no bulbs just leaves sticking out & ready to die. That is why need something resistant to moles ! HELP ! THANK YOU !

0

Moles don't usually eat plant matter, preferring insects. However, they can dig through the bulbs in their quest for insects. Rodents such as mice and voles use their tunnels like a subway, and they do eat roots and bulbs. Moles tunnels are usually marked by raised soil and a soil pile around the exit hole. If there isn't a heap like this near the hole, then your culprit is probably a mouse, chipmunk or vole. Animals are smart little critters and they can soon grow accustomed to our attempts to foil them! A more permanent solution would be to plant your bulbs in wire mesh cages or try surrounding the bulbs with coarse gravel when planting. Or you could plant the entire bulb area in a cage! You need to excavate the garden area to a depth of 18-24" and line it with an underground barrier of hardware cloth. If you splice pieces of the hardware cloth together to fit the space, be sure to overlap them to prevent a chink in your garden's armor! Overlap the corners as well. A great side-effect of this effort is a well-aerated soil - you can use it as an opportunity to mix organic matter into your garden! I hope some of these ideas help!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"