hot houses - Knowledgebase Question

Hanford, Ca
Question by mlsever1
Are hot houses a good idea for the area I live in? I really like to have fresh vegs in the winter. Are they worth the money to have one .

Hot houses can keep the air temperature warmer than outdoors but unless you have lots of sunshine in the winter months, you will be limited in what you can grow. You could grow leaf lettuces, spinach, radishes, and carrots in hothouses during the winter but the truly warm season veggies such as tomatoes, peppers and melons won't grow well. They need longer days and more intense sunlight than you will get during the winter months. On the plus side, you can use a hothouse to start your veggie seeds and by the time the weather warms up outdoors you'll have good sized plants to set out. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"