planting in containers - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by SherriChrisc
I live in an apartment, but have a balcony, I would love to plant some flowers and make it colorful to look it at and enjoy, however, my balcony does not get a lot of full direct sunlight. Any suggestions? I live in Florida.

0

Caladium (sometimes called "angel wings") is one of the best types of flowers to grow when you're container gardening, especially if you have a shade garden.

They really love low-light conditions and a rich, well-draining planting soil, though you can find some types that will grow in sunnier sites.

Other shade loving plants include: Ajuga reptens (Bugleweed), Anemonella thalictroides (Rue anemone), Convallaria majalis (Lily of the valley), Dicentra (Bleeding heart), Ferns (lots of varieties), Helleborus niger (Christmas rose), Hosta, Impatiens, Mysotis palustris s. (Dwarf forget-me-not), Polygonatum biflorum
(Solomon's seal), Achimenes (Cupids Bower), Adiantum (Maiden Hair Fern), Aegopodium
(Bishop?s weed), Alocasia (Elephant Ear), Aquilegia (columbine), Asperula odorata
(Sweet woodruff), Tuberous Begonia, and coleus.

Enjoy your colorful balcony garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"