orchid care indoors - Knowledgebase Question

Greenwood, In
Question by sandralehman
My two Phalaenopsis orchids are in a decorative ceramic container (no drainage holes on the exterior)& there is bark on top of the soil. Nowthe blooms are gone, do I repot it and place it on pebbles/tray rather than ice cubes once a week?

Ordinarily orchids only need repotting every 3-4 years. They bloom best when their roots are crowded. However, growing in a pot without adequate drainage is courting trouble. I would repot in bark chips or a specialized orchid mix using a container with drainage holes. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. I'd use tepid water rather than ice cubes. I think the suggestion to use ice cubes is to keep gardeners from accidentally overwatering their plants. Mist the leaves occasionally to rinse off dust and keep the plants out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Next time yours flowers and the flower is spent, cut the stem off just below where the old flower was. It should develop another flower. When that one is spent, cut the entire flowering stem down to foliage level. Enjoy your orchids!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"