amaryllis bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
Should I be digging up my bulbs every yr? Some are in pots outdoors and others in the ground? I've read that the foliage gets cut when it turns yellow and dies down. Mine never does, it's always green. When should I cut it down? Thank you.

0

Your amaryllis does not need to be dug every year. Usually the old foliage dies down at the end of summer but if yours doesn't and the bulbs still bloom right on time, just leave the foliage alone. The leaves manufacture energy for the bulbs and typically the bulbs need to rest over the winter months. Apparently yours are quite happy and don't need this resting period. I'd just enjoy them as they are, cutting back any leaves that begin to yellow, when they begin to yellow. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "