raised garden and blueberries - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by kaygfox
I have 2 questions today. Is it ok to plant a raised garden using HD pressure treated lumber that is treated w/copper. And second can I plant a blueberry in a pot if it is a regular sized plant? Thanks so much

0

As long as the timbers are treated only with copper, they should be safe to use in your garden. Copper is a fungicide and it isn?t very toxic to mammals, although it is to aquatic life and fungi. If the timbers are treated with Chromium, Copper and Arsenic I wouldn't use them at all in the garden, and certainly not in a vegetable garden. The arsenic can leach out into the soil and taint not only the soil, but your veggies as well. You can plant a blueberry in a container. Since these plants love acidic soils you can control the pH of the soil quite easily in a container. Use peat moss and potting soil to fill your container and your blueberry should be happy.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"