New lawn but turns yellow - Knowledgebase Question

grass valley, Ca
Question by terriklauer
My lawn is tall fescue that I planted by seed 1 yr. ago. In the spring it was lush and green but by summer much of it was turning yellow. It is now green and beautiful again but I'm worried it will change again. I tried Ironite and nitrogen but they didn't help. Any suggestions? Northern CA

0

Your fescue may be getting too much water (or the soil doesn't drain well), or it could simply be stressed by the heat of the summer. Since you've tried to improve the color with fertilizers and iron, I suspect it's a soil drainage problem. Compacted clay soils can hold too much water, which can suffocate the roots. You might try aerating the soil. Use a core aerator which removes one inch by 3 inch plugs. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve with rainfall or water from the hose. Spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the lawn and water it in. The sand or compost will work its way down into the holes left by the plugs and will provide growing space for the roots of your fescue plus a place for water to drain. Hope this solves the problem!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"