Where and when do I start - Knowledgebase Question

Ontario, Ca
Question by sjmira
I bought my house about a year ago and my front and back yard are full of various types of weeds combined with crabgrass. I live in Southern California and would like to know how and when to seed so I can have a REAL lawn. Im so tired of pullng and repulling weeds over and over again. Please help!

0

A thick, lush turf will crowd out most weeds so you'll want to start by killing the weeds already growing in your lawn, then reseeding, then putting your lawn on a regular maintenance schedule. You can use a weed and feed product to eliminate the current weeds. Depending upon your turfgrass type, you can use either Scotts or Bayer Advanced products (be sure to read the label; it will list the grasses the product is safe to use on). Once the weeds are eliminated put your lawn on a regular mowing, watering and feeding schedule. Turfgrasses should be mowed frequently enough to remove one third of the blade. If you're growing bluegrass or fescue, keep it at a height of about 2". So when it reaches 3" in height, mow it down to 2". This might mean mowing twice a week in the spring, once a week in the summer. Most lawns require one inch of water per week. In the spring you can probably water once a week; in the summer water twice a week. Apply water slowly so it has a chance to soak in. Feed your lawn in April, June, September and late November with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK. I find that the garden center usually has fertilizer on sale at the right application time so watch the ads. You can overseed in September or October. First mow the lawn low, then rake it thoroughly, then broadcast the seeds. You'll want the seeds to make good contact with the soil so when they germinate they can send down deep roots. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"