Transferring from flowers from pot to ground - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, Ca
Question by monetlee
I received a calla lilly plant as a gift and its doing fine in the pot but I really want it outside, when and how should I do move it and where should I place it (direct sun or not, etc.). Sacramento, CA

There are different calla lily species with slightly different requirements, so it is always helpful when sending a question to include the complete botanical name, e.g., Zantedeschia aethiopica for common calla. If yours is indeed common calla, it should take a few hours of morning sun, then filtered afternon shade. Keep soil consistently moist, but not wet. They are native to South Africa so can not take cold temperatures. Place iours outside when danger of frost is over (and bring indoors in the fall before frost). Use a slow-release fertilizer or any general fertilizer for blooming plants or bulbs according to package instructions. Strong stem growth comes from correct exposure to sunshine. Too little light and the stems and foliage will be pale and floppy. Good air circulation is important, too. Because your calla is indoors, you'll want to gradually acclimate it to growing outdoors. Start by taking it out when the weather warms (at least 60F) and setting it in a shady place. Over the period of about a week move it gradually into morning sunshine. Once it is used to morning sun you can set it in the ground. Plan on digging it before frost hits. It might be best to leave it in a pot and simply sink the pot into the garden for the summer months, lifting the pot when the weather begins to cool. Best wishes with your plant!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"