Landscaping front yard - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by Carolyn_Walt8
I have a ranch home and want to put it on the market but need to give it a cleaner look. I have azales in the front and a gardenia bush at the end of the left side. What are some good low growing bushes I can put in the front of the house to give it a good look. Where can I go to see some ideas on what to do and what not to do.

If you are selling now, you probably want annuals rather than perennials (which usually bloom in the summertime). Impatiens are easy to grow and come in a variety of colors. They like a bit of shade in the late afternoon. Begonias will take the sun better than Impatiens. Red is a nice bright color; I'm voting for red Impatiens with pink begonias behind them and the annual type of lobelia in front of them (lobelia has little blue flowers and everyone loves them). Most important: mix some compost into the beds before you plant. Then mulch on top of the soil after planting. Get a mulch that looks good with the color of your house. Water well the first couple of weeks. Shrubs to include might be Dwarf forms of Abelia x grandiflora, 'Crimson Pygmy' Barberry (reddish/purple leaves), winter Daphne (small shrub with variegated foliage), and/or hydrangeas. Good luck with the sale!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"