Fertilizing - Knowledgebase Question

Bonita Springs, Fl
Question by bill759
I planted a garden with tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. Usually, after I fertilize, most or all of the plants die. What type of fertilizer should I use in the garden? Also, what type of fertilizer should I use on my annuals? How do I avoid over-fertilizing them?

If you're using a granular fertilizer, apply one pound of 10-10-10 or two pounds of 5-10-5 (or 5-10-10) per 100 feet of row. You can simply make a band out of the fertilizer and circle each plant. If you habitually over fertilize your plants and burn them with a granular fertilizer, you can switch to a liquid fertilizer (such as Miracle Gro). This is a foliar feeder but some of the diluted fertilizer also soaks into the soil. Apply in amounts as listed on the label. Since it is a liquid you'll apply it through a hose-end sprayer and you'll apply it every 4 weeks rather than just once a season. You can feed your annuals with the same water soluable fertilizer as you use on your veggies.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"