Can I compost wild mushrooms at home? - Knowledgebase Question

Danville, Ca
Question by chavy816
Hello! I have many different types of wild mushrooms that have appeared around my backyard, and being a compost and fungi novice I assume they are poisonous and would remain so if composted. If they are poisonous, would they be completely healthy to compost in a home sized compost pile? Thanks!

0

As long as your compost pile is cooking, you can safely compost any organic material. The heat from the decomposition process will kill the fungi and since you won't be directly eating the compost, the wild mushrooms should have no effect on you. Be sure to turn the pile frequently, moving the warm center to the edges and the cool edges to the center. This will ensure that pathogens, fungal spores and seeds will be cooked enough to kill them. Good luck with your composting project!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"