Moss Problem - Knowledgebase Question

Mastic, Ne
Question by ellyganeyram
For the last 8 years I have been trying to control moss in all of my yard I have tried everything from fertilize to sulfur and aerating. Can you give me any other tips to get rid of the moss for good. Thank You Nestor Ramos

Moss is a symptom of several things: too much shade, poor drainage, compacted soil, and acidic soil. It sounds as though you've tried to address each of these causes, with the exception of the shade. Limbing up nearby trees or thinning out the canopies might supply more sunlight to the area. Poor drainage is usually caused by clay soils or those that are compacted due to heavy foot traffic. Amending soils (to a depth of 4-5") and aerating every few years will give your ground a better opportunity to drain well. I think I'd go through the process of aerating again. You can rent a core aerator at most garden centers. The machine pulls 1/2" by 3" plugs out of the ground. You can leave the plugs where they lay and they will break down over a period of several weeks. After plugging you can sprinkle sand on the lawn. The sand will work its way down into the holes left from the plugs and will help improve the drainage and compaction problem. Acidic soils can promote the growth of moss so you might want to have your soil tested. If it is 6.0 or below you can spread lime over your lawn and garden in the fall. It will break down over the winter months and help sweeten the soil. There are moss killers on the market but you'll find that the moss will turn black when it?s killed and you'll need to rake it out anyway, so I always suggest foregoing the moss killers and simply raking the moss out. Hope you eventually find a solution! Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"