Too late to pot spring bulbs? - Knowledgebase Question

Round Lake, Il
Question by mikebarnes74
Hello, I live near Chicago. I have quite a few spring bulbs (iris, tulips, etc) that I wanted to put in large pots but did not get around to it in the fall. If I put them in pots now, is there time for them to bloom this spring? Is it worth the time to plant them at this point?

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for your spring bulbs. They need anywhere from 12-16 weeks of cold weather in order to develop roots to support the plants. If you planted them now they may sprout but without roots, the bulbs cannot be replenished and will simply run out of energy after developing leaves. They likely won't flower and they won't have any way to recoup the stored energy for next year's bloom. Since you've already planted them you can take a wait and see attitude, but I don't think you'll be happy with the results. Wish I had better news for you!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"