poor growing of all plants - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by td1harris3
I have been gardening for a long time, but cannot get most of my perenials to survive more than a season or two. There are a lot of scraggly roots in my soil and I suspect they are choking my plants. If this could be the case, what do I do about it? Also they only bloom a few flowers at a time.

Sounds like your soil is depleted of nutrients, and because of the roots from nearby trees or shrubs, your perennials are probably competing for nutrients and moisture with other plants in your landscape. If it were my garden, I would systematically work through the garden beds, removing the plants (save by potting them up), digging out the rooty growth, amending the soil with compost or other organic matter, and then replanting. Depending upon the size of your planting beds this might be a summer long project but by this time next year your garden should be in tip top shape and your perennials should thrive.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"