Upside down strawberrys - Knowledgebase Question

norcross, Ge
Question by mdsalisbury
I'm interested in planting some hanging strawberrys, upside down in a hanging basket. How many fit in a 12

0

Mel's Mix (1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost by volume) is a fine substitute for commercially prepared soiless potting mix so go ahead and use it in your hanging baskets. I'd plant 3 strawberry crowns the top of a 12" coco lined planter and plug another 4-5 plants into the sides (just cut slits in the coco liner to accommodate the roots of the plants. You can plant individual crowns in the upside down planter in the same manner: cut holes and poke them into the sides, then set one in the bottom of the upside planter. Tomatoe plants have extensive root systems so your upside down basket will accommodate only one tomato plant.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"