peony tree - Knowledgebase Question

Liberty, Mi
Question by keeponquilti
I bought a peony tree today and I know it is too soon to plant it. Should I keep it in the packaging that it came in or can I plant it in a pot until it is time to plant outside? It is basically bare roots and a little soil in the bag it is currently in.

Your bareroot peony should be kept in its original packaging in a shady, cool but above freezing spot outdoors. An alternative storage place is in an unheated garage or storage shed where the temperatures remain above freezing. It will remain dormant as long as the weather is cold and will begin to wake up as the temperature warms. Peonies resent being moved so don't pot it up - instead, plant it in its permanent spot in the garden when the soil can be dug early this spring.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"