st. augustine - Knowledgebase Question

city of industry, Ca
Question by cocheeses65
i am located in southern california and have st. augustine grass. my question is what should i do to my grass to start the whole process. i have been told different things to do to start it off. do i fertilize it or aerate it? etc etc thank u very much.
-maurice

0

Beginning in February or March, before your St. Augustine begins to green up for summer growth, apply a postemergence herbicide (such as Scotts Turfbuilder with Halts) to control winter broadleaf weeds or summer broadleaf weeds that have emerged. As with any pesticide, read the label to make sure that it is appropriate for your situation. Once your lawn greens up (when the weather warms), fertilize with a product such as Vigoro Ultra Turf Turf Fertilizer for St. Augustine. There are many fertilizers on the market - just choose one formulated for St. Augustine.

As long as you water and mow regularly, and feed your St. Augustine in the spring and in the fall, it should grow nicely for you.

If your soil is compacted you can aerate your lawn. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs.

Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"