"Speed" gardening - Knowledgebase Question

Bridgman, Mi
Question by mrspglenn
I have a party the first part of June that I would like my raised-bed garden established and blooming for. Can I plant the seeds and

0

I don't know that it would work for you. Most seeds have a optimal soil temperature for germination and most plants have an optimal temperature for growth. Tenting the bed will help warm the soil and the air under the tent but you will have to regularly pull back the plastic to allow fresh air - or everything will develop mildew. If the air is frigid, it will retard the growth of your plants. I think a better approach is to prepare the planting bed in advance and then in May plant the bed with established annuals or perennials. You can purchase in 4-paks or 6-paks or even one-gallon sized transplants. If you overplant the bed and crowd everything in, it will be a mass of color and will look well established for your garden party.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"