sodding yard with st. augustine - Knowledgebase Question

Orlando, Fl
Question by claybonc
a landscape co. says it will spray my existing yard with a spray to kill everything 2 weeks before laying the sod. does this method work or will it affect the sod layed on top of it? or should the existing yard be cleared and raked before resodding? they also add $50 a pallet if yard is cleared rather than

0

Your landscape company's practice is probably to spray the area with glyphosate to kill the existing vegetation. Glyphosate (such as found in Round Up) dissapates quickly and does not move within the soil so it won't affect the new sod. However, unless the soil is raked and the dead material is removed, the new sod may have trouble establishing itself. You will want the roots to be able to penetrate into the soil and if the top of the soil is hard or crusted over, or covered with a mat of old grass roots, the sod may have trouble establishing which may result in trouble down the road. It's difficult for me to make a recommendation without seeing the area and analyzing the condition of soil. If the soil is sandy and does not crust over when it dries, and if there is not a layer of grass roots from a previous lawn, you can go the inexpensive route. If the soil gets hard when it dries, or if there is an existing lawn, I think I'd opt for properly preparing the soil - at least power raking to break up the surface - before laying the new sod. Best wishes with your new turf!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"