Ranunculus - Knowledgebase Question

Las Cruces, Ne
Question by ceoverhiser
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ranunculus Plants. Their blooms are exquisite. I'm always carefully trimming off any greenery that isn't perky (i.e. lays on the soil)and any older, sad looking blooms. Am I doing any harm to the plant or is this ok? Also, will they spread horizontally in my garden.

0

Ranunculus grow from bulbs which look like small, dark bunches of bananas. The foliage actually helps feed the plant so you'll want to keep as much of the foliage on the plant as practical. I would certainly prune away any dead or wilting leaves,m but try not to cut away too many of the leaves. It is perfectly fine to prune off the spent flowers. Doing so will encourage additional flowers. Your ranunculus will begin to go dormant in late summer. The leaves will turn yellow and you can safely remove all the foliage. Stop watering and allow the roots to rest. In the late fall or early winter they will sprout new stems, leaves and flowers. Like all bulbs, your ranunculus will develop new bulbs which you can dig and transplant to other places in your garden, or just allow them to naturalize in their current garden spots. Best wishes with your ranunculus.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "