pests - Knowledgebase Question

perris, Ca
Question by dianabarraza
I was pulling some weeds to plant some rose bushes and I noticed these tiny little bugs all over the dirt and on the walls around the windows above this planting area. Some are tiny and others are a little longer but still very small. Any idea on what they can be?? I sprayed pesticide on them and seemed to not bother them at all, they just kept on walking.

Without seeing the pests I can't make a positive identification but based upon the time of year I suspect you have found springtails. They occur in large numbers in moist soil and are perfectly harmless to you and won't bother your plants. They like moisture and decaying organic debris so simply cultivating the soil should be enough to send them packing. Don't bother spraying pesticides on them, just rake the soil to help it dry out and to remove old dead plant parts and the springtails will leave on their own.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"