Vegetable garden - Knowledgebase Question

Prosper, Te
Question by kevinc0930
I'm converting a sandbox into a raised veg. garden. Can I leave a few inches of sand for drainage...and what type of top soil should I use to make up the difference the sand I've removed.

A little sand in the bottom of the box won't hurt, but make sure the sandbox has lots of drainage holes. Otherwise it will hold water like a bathtub and cause problems with the roots of your plants. You can purchase 3-way mix topsoil (composed of garden soil, organic matter such as compost, and sand), or you can mix your own - equal parts of garden soil, sand and compost or peat moss. Mix everything together well. The sand will encourage fast drainage and the organic matter will loosen the garden soil and release nutrients as it decomposes. Enjoy your new garden!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"