Mosquitos - Knowledgebase Question

Amityville, Ne
Question by ositabella04
Hello I spend alot of time out side my house in the afternoon and night, but how can I keep the mosquitos away or is there a repelent that I could use.
And another thing I am afraid of every animal that comes out in the summer n I saw a garden snake which I have with all my guts. How can I keep them away I don't have grass any more I put down rocks. Please Any advice.
Thank you Joan

I know lots of people are afraid of snakes so I probably won't be able to convince you that they are not at all interested in you or your pets, but they are terrific predators of garden insects such as beetles, snails and slugs. For this reason, they are considered beneficial in the garden. There's really not much you can do to rid your landscape of snakes because they tend to wander around the neighborhood in search of food. Generally if you walk through the yard they will take off in the other direction. They are afraid of anything larger than they are. Catching and releasing them elsewhere is about the only way to permanently remove them from your yard. Mosquitoes breed in standing water. If you make sure there are no puddles of water after a rainfall or after watering, there will be fewer of the pests. That means dumping out birdbaths every other day, emptying saucers beneath your containerized plants, and keeping the yard free of anything that might collect water will help reduce the population. Since you no longer have grass, you've taken a big step in controlling them, but they will fly in from neighboring yards so be sure to talk to your neighbors about keeping their yards clear and clean, too. As for personal protection, a product containing DEET will keep mosquitoes from landing on your skin and biting you. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"