preparing soil for garden - Knowledgebase Question

Reno, Ne
Question by steveskorea
Previously I asked about preparing soil for a lawn. I mentioned about removing so many rocks ping pong ball and larger. Is it necessary? I am doing this by hand. Is there an easier way with out involving expensive equipment?

I know it can be a pain, but if you don't remove the rocks, they will become flying projectiles when you mow your lawn which can damage both your mower and anything in their paths. In my yard rocks seem to surface months after I've cleared an area so you may be faced with an ongoing chore. Nothing fun about harvesting rocks! The only alternative would be to import some topsoil to spread over your yard. A 3-way mix will work nicely for a lawn. It's a combination of screened garden soil, compost and sand. Might be the best way to go and if you have it delivered it will usually cost between 35-35 dollars a yard. Phone around and you may get better prices.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"