Weed grass and Crabgrass - Knowledgebase Question

the colony, Te
Question by eclectic5353
I have patchy spots of these weeds. Do I need to pull them up and apply a pre-emergent weed killer or just apply it to the entire lawn without trying to pull the weedgrass? Also once this is done, when can I apply Vigoro SuperGreen?

0

Pre emergents will keep new weeds from sprouting but it won't control existing weeds. For best results, I'd dig out the grassy weeds and then fertilize. You can overseed immediately if you don't use a pre emergent. If you do use one, you'll need to wait about 6 weeks before you can overseed the bare areas. (Check the package label to make sure of the waiting period.) That's the route I'd go if it were my lawn: dig the weeds, fertilize and overseed. Once the lawn is nice and thick it will crowd out most weeds. You can apply a pre emergent next winter/early spring if weeds are still an issue.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"