Water mellon - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by dodytravis
I have a square foot garden every season I plant water mellons which grow nicely...except they always end up splitting open.please help it's growing season again

0

Inconsistent soil moisture is the most common cause of melon splitting. As the melon rind begins to set up as it matures, irregular watering practices or wet dry cycles can cause the melon to swell and split. The best advice I can give you is to mulch the soil surface to keep soil moisture from cycling wildly between wet and dry. Irrigation practices that apply water evenly will help. Harvest when the melons are mature and don't let them get overripe. Mulch can be organic matter such as compost or a thick layer of cardboard or newspapers. Any of these materials will help slow evaporation and keep the soil evenly moist.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"