Storing and Planting Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Charlestown, Ne
Question by azzo04
I live in central NH and just purchased echinacea and daylily plants from your store in Lebanon NH. These plants have started to grow and are packaged in bags of soil in cardboard boxes. When should I plant these and how should i store them until they are planted?

0

Sounds like you purchased bareroot plants. They will usually remain dormant until the weather warms in the spring but it sounds as though yours have gotten the message that it's spring and have started to grow. Probably exposure to warm temperatures during shipping and display have triggered the process. I'd place them in a protected area outdoors to stop the growth with the intention of planting them as soon as the soil can be worked. Cold temperatures should stop them from growing any more, but should not hurt future growth. As soon as the air and soil temperatures are above freezing (40F or so), you can plant your new plants. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"