Building Raised Beds for Tomato Gardening - Knowledgebase Question

Corinth, Mi
Question by kr429
Im having some raised beds built for growing some tomatoes.And was wondering if I could use treated wood(So they hopefully last longer as I am disabled and cant afford to have them built year after year)...I'm thinking of useing the treated wood then lining with plastic on the sides....Do you see any drawbacks or do you have any suggestions of how else I could build them? Thanks!

0

I think your plan is a good one. Pressure treated woods will last a long, long time in the garden and the newer treatments are much safer than the treatments of years ago. I don't think there will be a problem with chemicals leaching into the soil but lining the sides is a good idea, just to make sure. I would keep root vegetables such as potatoes, beets and carrots away from the sides of the bed and instead grow them in the center of the bed. Those vegetables that grow on the plants themselves (corn, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) should be just fine anywhere you plant them. Lettuces and other leafy crops should probably be grown towards the center of the bed as well. Best wishes with your raised bed garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"