Planting DayLilly Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Berkeley Springs, We
Question by lb6507
When should I plant seeds for Day Lillies? I live in Berkeley Springs, W.V.? This year I still have a good bit of snow on the ground.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Daylily seeds need a pre-germination cold treatment. Up to 10 weeks before the last frost in your zone and at the minimum of 3 weeks, put each seed in a plastic sandwich bag with 2 teaspoons of water and a small piece of papertowel to absorb excess moisture. Squeeze out air, seal, label and refrigerate inside a larger container.

Check daily for sprouts and pot up the sprouting seeds. All seeds should be potted, sprouted or not, in 3-4 weeks. Plant the sprouted seeds in flats or individual containers and place in a bright window or under growing lights. After the last frost, transplant to your garden. If the weather chills down again, mulch new plants to keep them warm, if you get a hot spell be sure to water well. The new plants may not bloom the first year but as long as there is leaf growth there should be bloom in the second year.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"