Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by clalli
Due to the hard summer and winter on lawns, my lawn looks totally dead right now except for weeds, however, I am beginning to see some signs of life with the Bermuda. The right side of my lawn is primarily St Augustine due to large trees and shade make it impossible for Bermuda.On left is combo of Bermuda/St Aug. What can I do to reenergize and when do I start?

0

Since your turfgrasses are warm season grasses, they should start to green up within the next few weeks. You can feed your lawn in March. About the only other things you might consider is soil compaction (aeration helps renew a lawn) and dethatching. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs and provide lots of room for new root growth. Thatch is a collection of dead roots and stolons at the soil surface. Thatch is normal and as long as the layer is less than an inch it won't cause problems. If it is over an inch thick it can keep water and nutrients from soaking down into the soil, which can stress your lawn. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"