I bet you're tired of orchid questions - Knowledgebase Question

nashville, Te
Question by athenarae46
But here it goes. leaves are still green/vibrant on orchid plant purchased last week, but the last couple of days the petals are starting to become limp and turned in. I purchased one with many flowers and buds. Now the farthest bud down the line is not thriving, looks pinkish/small shriveled? kept soil dry between ice cubes. kept at room temp/window lighting. Not enough humidity? Help!flowers sad

We never get tired of questions! If the flower petals look shrivelled, I'd suspect the plant is in a draft or is not getting enough water. I'm not a fan of the watering with ice cubes trick. Orchids need a consistently moist, but not soggy wet potting medium and it's finicky about temperatures. Tepid water would be more to its liking. I think the ice cube watering method was designed to keep gardeners from overwatering. But if you water your orchid with tepid water, and only when necessary, your orchid should thrive. The type of potting medium being used can affect your plant's water requirements. Bark has a tendency to dry out more rapidly than sphagnum moss, for instance. It is important to remember, however, that even when the surface of your pot is dry, the root area may remain moist. Poke your finger or a regular wooden pencil an inch into the pot; if it feels moist to the touch or if the pencil looks moist, do not add additional water. The potting medium should always be damp, but not soggy?neither should it be allowed to get extremely dry. As for the opened flower, I'd prune it off, just below where it is attached to the stem. Additional flowers should open below the cut. Hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your orchid.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"