rooting powder - Knowledgebase Question

Wright City, Mi
Question by wretzie52
I recently bought some rooting powder. but the bottle had no instructions and Im not sure on how to use this product should I dilute it with water? or just stick the clippings directly into the powder? I've never used this before but on a suggestion I bought it. Im trying to save some clippings from plants my grandmother had she passed away last month and I was given clippings of her house plants.

Rooting hormone is used as a powder so you don't dilute it at all. I just dump some into a small container and dip the cut ends into the powder, shaking off any excess. When you are finished dipping all the stems into the rooting hormone you can dump the unused portion back into the container for your next propagation project. As far as houseplants go, not many need to be dipped in rooting hormone. Most will readily root in plain water. Or, you can make a propagation pot. You'll need a plastic nursery pot with drainage holes, some perlite (available in garden centers), a small (2") terra cotta pot and a papertowel. Place the plastic pot on a saucer (to catch excess water. Fill the pot with perlite. Use a piece of masking tape to cover the drainage hole in the terra cotta pot and then set it into the center of the perlite filled container. Push and twist so that only the rim of the terra cotta pot is exposed and the rest is buried in the perlite. Fill the terra cotta pot with water and keep it filled with water. As the water seeps out of the porous terra cotta it will keep the perlite moist enough to promote rooting of your cuttings. Once your propagation pot is all set up, take freshly cut tips from your houseplants (or recut them if you already have them sitting in water. Use a pencil to make a deep, narrow hole in the perlite and set one cutting into each hole. There will be enough room for you to root 6-8 cuttings. As long as you keep water in the terra cotta pot, everything will be just fine and the cuttings will root in 3-4 weeks. Best wishes with your propagation project!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"