Material to cover garden - Knowledgebase Question

Independence, Mi
Question by katcostello
I am going to till a section for a vege garden, but not ready to plant. What is the material used to cover the ground and keep it warm?

0

You can lay a plastic tarp over the area or weed block fabric, a thick layer or newspapers or cardboard, or 4-5 inches of organic matter such as compost. I like using compost because it provides nutrients, suppresses weeds and keeps the soil warm as it decomposes. You can rototill it into the soil just before planting the garden. The compost will help loosen the soil, facilitate good drainage, and provide nutrients to the roots of your plants as it breaks down. Hope you have a productive garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"