Best grass to plant - Knowledgebase Question

Birmingham, Al
Question by jwjantz
I have a question to make sure I buy the right type of grass for my area (Birmingham, AL) in the backyard which gets sunshine but is also fairly shaded. I have a playful dog and want to get the strongest and best looking grass I can. Tall Fescue is the most available at my Home Depot, but wanted to make sure that was the best choice. I'm tearing out all the grass and re-seeding. Thanks!

I wish there were an easy answer! Here are your choices for Birmingham:
Heat Tolerant Kentucky Blue - grows in both sun and shade, has reasonable tolerance for foot traffic; Centipede grass - grows in both sun and shade, but has poor wear tolerance; Tall Fescue grows in both sun and shade, has fair tolerance to foot traffic; Zoysia grass grows in both sun and shade, has excellent tolerance to foot traffic. Bermuda has excellent wear tolerance but doesn't grow well under shady conditions. You might consider a mixture of grasses such as fescue and Kentucky blue rather than a single type of grass. The blades are slightly different but the colors will blend nicely and provide an attractive looking turf. Hope this information is helpful. If you want to read even more info on these grass types, the Alabama Cooperative Extension has a useful publication. Here's the website:

Best wishes with your new turf~

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"