GA long needle pine - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Question by katbrady
2 questions:
Is there a lumber company that would excavate some of my very large long needle pine trees for little or no cost to use for telephone poles or lumber?
Can pine straw be turned into a good compost if lime were spread on it?

Your second question is much easier to answer than the first. You can use pine straw as a mulch or you can compost it. If you pile your pine needles, mix in grass clippings and sprinkle in a little organic fertilizer and water occasionally, you will be able to dig into the pile this fall and use the rich dark semi-composted pine needles for your pre-winter mulching. If you turn the pile once or twice during the summer and add a little more water or greens, it will break down faster.

I can't answer your first question but if you contact your local cooperative extension office, the horticultural agent should be able to provide an answer on a local level. UGA Cooperative Extension, 678 South Cobb Drive, Suite 200, Marietta, GA 30060-3105 Phone 770-528-4070

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"