pruning - Knowledgebase Question

scituate, Ma
Question by gpattygartle
i have a magnolia twig. (thats what i call it)it looks like a branch stuck in the ground. it blooms every year. has nice green leaves. how do i get to become bigger. i'm guessing some kind of pruning. i don't know how to prune my precious twig. can you help me. can you please tell me how to turn it into a tree or bush. thanks for your help.
patty

0

Pruning usually encourages new growth so pinching out the very tips of the branches should result in new growth. Wait until flowering has finished and cut or pinch out an inch or two of each branch. New growth should develop behind each pruning cut. If your magnolia has been in the ground for a few years and is simply not growing, it may not be happy in its current spot. In general, magnolias grow best in full sun or partial afternoon shade in moist, well-drained soils.

Good luck with your twig!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"