Fescue or St Augustine in Dallas, Texas? - Knowledgebase Question

Carrollton, Te
Question by jason907
I just bought a new home in Dallas, Texas that needs a new lawn. I have a very large Globe Willow tree in the back yard that shades half of the yard. The rest of the rear yard and front yard are exposed to the sun all day. I am thinking fescue is best from my learnings but will fescue grow well in sunlight just as it supposedly does in shade? help...I am putting in a sprinkler system first to aid

Tall fescue is the most popular turfgrass choice in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. It is shade tolerant and will grow in full sun, but the summer heat can cause it to brown out a bit. It does recover, though, and looks good about 9 months of the year. St. Augustine is both shade and heat tolerant so it will remain green during the summer months but can yellow out in the winter unless you feed it in the fall. It has a stiff, wiry texture where Fescue is softer for bare feet, if that is a concern. Either turf you choose has its pros and cons so choose the one that appeals most to you. Both will grow well most of the year.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"