Cutting back Roses - when and how much. - Knowledgebase Question

Hampton, Ge
Question by dianegreene2
I have 6 different rose bushes and I was told I should cut them back in this month of March. If so, how far down should I cut them. Also, I have knock out roses. Should they also be cut back and how far back. Thank you.

0

Knock Out roses can be pruned down by about two thirds each spring and they will respond with lots of new growth.

Shrub roses should be pruned in early spring (March is fine). Begin by choosing 3-5 of the healthiest canes to keep and pruning the rest completely off. Then prune the 3-5 canes you saved down to about knee high. The canes should be evenly spaced and take on a vase shape when you're finished pruning. New growth will develop in the spring and your roses should flower beautifully for you. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"