Brown spots - Knowledgebase Question

Clay, Ne
Question by vistana7
Every spring, there are many brown spots on my lawn and I have great difficulty of repairing these problems.
I wish I could sent the pictures of my lawn.
Please let me know how I can fix this problem.
Thanks,
Charles Kim

0

There are a couple of reasons for brown spots on sod; dog urine is the most common, poor contact with soil beneath the sod (a depression in the soil, perhaps?), or sprinklers that are missing those spots. Some fungal diseases can also cause winter kill. To have the healthiest, greenest lawn possible, water deeply once a week (twice if the weather is really hot) to force the roots to penetrate deeply. Deep rooted grasses don't need as much water as those that are shallow rooted, and won't turn brown as easily. (Frequent, light watering will keep the roots close to the surface, making them dry out faster in warm weather and require even more frequent watering.) It's best to measure the amount of water your sprinkler puts out so you'll know how long to keep the water running. Put some tuna cans out on the lawn and turn on the sprinkler. Leave it on for 15 minutes, then check the water level in the cans. If there's not an inch of water in the cans, turn the water on again and continue to time how long it takes to get one inch of water in the cans. This will let your know how long you'll need to water to supply one-inch of water per week to your lawn. Put your lawn on a regular feeding and mowing schedule, too. Feed in April, June, September and December with a 3-1-2 ratio of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. Mow when blades are 1 1/2" to 2" high. Don't let the grass grow really tall and then mow or you'll take off too much of the living tissue and scalp the lawn. The only way to check for fungal diseases is to dig a portion of the affected turf, including both live and dead grass blades plus roots and take it into your cooperative extension for positive diagnosis. (contact Univerity of Nebraska, 111 W. Fairfield, Clay Center, NE 68933-1499 phone (402) 762-3644)
Hope following the above guidelines will give you the greenest lawn on the block!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"