CARE OF SHAMROCK PLANTS - Knowledgebase Question

TUCSON, Ar
Question by ELLENROHAN
I JUST PURCHASED A SHAMROCK PLANT WHICH I LOVE AND WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN PLANT OUTSIDE AND WHERE TO PLANT IT. I PREFER TO KEEP IT IN A POT. LOCATION IF TUCSON ARIZONA, WHICH GETS VERY HOT IN SUMMER AND AT TIMES LIKE NOW COLD IN WINTER. THANKS ELLEN

0

Your new plant is better suited to growing indoors than out. Shamrocks (Oxalis sp.) are very easy to grow, but they do have a few requirements. They like cool air, moist soil, and bright light but not direct sun. They are bulbs and like all bulbs they need a period of dormancy every once in a while. When the plant starts to look a little punky, stop watering, and when the leaves all turn brown, pull them off. Set the pot somewhere that will remain cool and dry for about two or three months.(the purple leaf varieties only need about a month). After they have enjoyed their 'vacation', resume watering and give them a shot of all purpose house plant food (10-10-10), and in a very short time you will be rewarded with happy new growth. At the end of the dormant cycle you might want to remove the bulbs from the pot, seperate them and replant just under the surface of the soil in good, slightly sandy houseplant soil. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"