Desert broom - Knowledgebase Question

tucson, Ar
Question by earthlingltd
I have trimmed desert broom plants to within 2-4 inches of the ground. Most of the plants were full size, 4-5 feet up to 1 inch thick branches. Some of them are re-grown from past cutbacks. They are in a developed desert area, mostly Palo Verde, Mesquite and creosote as the closest neighbor plants I don't really want to use a ground clear type herbicide.Is there any way to prevent regrowth?

Digging the roots is probably not something you're interested in doing, but it will prevent the brooms from resprouting. An alternative is to use a product such as Round Up (glyphosate) or Brush B Gon and simply paint the herbicide on the stumps immediately after cutting. It works best on fresh cuts and I find it works fastest in the fall when the roots are storing energy for new growth. Just cut, paint, and cover the stubs with a plastic baggie (to slow evaporation). Hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"