Protecting lawn from moss - Knowledgebase Question

Redmond, Wa
Question by sunnyv6
After recent winters, my lawn was full of moss and I had to get it thatched, aerated, top solied and reseeded. I would like to know how to maintain and take care of my lawn such that I can protect it from moss.SInce I have new soil and seeds now in the lawn, how frequently should I water them?

I live in Seattle area.Should I use any moss control products since this area gets pretty wet

Moss is usually a symptom of several problems, including poor drainage, too much shade, low fertility, compacted soil, and acid soil. Sounds like you've corrected most of the problems. If you can put your lawn on a regular feeding schedule, you'll have fewer moss problems in the future. Start fertilizing in April with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK (the 3 numbers on the bag of fertilizer). Apply one pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn per year. Feed again in June, September and late November or early December. Lawns need one inch of water per week applied slowly so it has a chance to soak in. Deeply rooted lawns remain greener during the summertime. Plan on watering once a week in spring and twice a week during the summer months if rainfall equals less than an inch a week. If your grass is healthy, it will crowd out the moss in the future. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"